Monday, September 2, 2013

Post PAX

Okay, I just returned from PAX Prime (Penny Arcade Expo) in Seattle. It was very inspiring to meet the artists from Strip Search, watch Mike and Jerry create a strip, and I even got to ask a question to Mike and Jerry on what it's like to be a creative in the desolate Spokane, Washington. (Their answer: you outgrow it, and people like Robert Khoo just aren't there. Kind of like my experience.)

Anyhow, my internet connection was very bad for the weekend, but I did keep up the art during all the busy days. My fitbit tells me I did about 15K steps per day, so I was pretty tired.

Here's two drawings I made. The first is some ornamentation from the roof of the Paramount theater.

ornament from paramount theater seattle

This chevron one I drew out of my head, but it's not so original. I've seen a lot of chevron prints like this out in the world. 

365patterns chevron print


And I posted earlier that I got to try a Cintiq. It makes my iPad look like a toy.  You can actually see where the pen will drop, and it works with whatever software is on your computer (i.e. Illustrator in my case). The friendly guys at the Wacom booth gave me a new nib to fix my bamboo pen, and I asked them about why the nibs were so thick. Turns out, this restriction is Apple's fault. They are super-secretive about their hardware and the minimum width for styli is 5mm. Mike was using a Windows tablet running Manga Studio to create this week's Penny Arcade Studio. 

This hobby is fantastic and I'm so happy I've found a way to get back into art. However it's getting expensive, so I've added ads to the blog and am gradually stepping up the merchandise. All proceeds will go back into art. 




No comments:

Post a Comment