Saturday, August 10, 2013

Time warp: Static Letters

I bought this typewriter for $1.50 at the Salvation Army in Spokane Washington in the spring of 2004. I was in a bad mood after meeting a rather unpleasant guy, and decided to buy a few odds and ends for creative inspiration. The typewriter is in working condition, and I used it in several art projects. In addition to drawing it, I used it to create textures by typing.




"Autobiography" (2006): Photoplate Lithograph with Watercolor


A card from "Outcasts" (2006): Silkscreen on found library cards

Okay, many good memories with this typewriter. Tonight I repeated the process to create the letters texture. It took me about two hours of pounding on keys and feeding the paper through the typewriter at different angles five times. Odd numbers are intentional.





The end result is an even texture, where the letters jitter like static on a television. Of course, a lot goes through your head when you're doing a monotonous physical task. To me, this piece represents randomness, chattering, static, and background noise.


Here's a Vine of me typing:

No comments:

Post a Comment